Teacher Follow-up Lesson to
Teachers! A follow-up reading strategy to this endearing read-aloud can be a compare and contrast activities. I have designed the plans based on the various grade levels. Enjoy!
Grade Level: K-2nd grades:
Lesson Plan- K-2nd-/files/documents/Lesson Plan. K-2nd Grades.doc
· Children will compare and contrast their typical school day with the main character in the text;
· Children will gain an appreciation for the reasons why they attend school.
Tools to use: Venn Diagram or
T chart- K-2nd Blank-/files/documents/T-Chart. Key K-2nd. Blank.dot
T chart- K-2nd KEY/files/documents/T-Chart. K-2nd. KEY.dot
Grade Level: 3rd-6th grades:
Lesson Plan- 3rd-6th-/files/documents/Lesson Plan. 3rd-6th Grades.doc
· Children will compare and contrast the thoughts that the main character has in relation to school to their thoughts about school;
· Children will gain an appreciation for the reason why they attend school;
· Children will be familiarized with the reason for compulsory education; and
· Children will be able to Compare and Contrast 17th - 19th century One-room Schoolhouses to today's 21st century classroom.
Tools to use: Graphic organizers-
Text to Self- 3rd-6th Blank-/files/documents/Text to Self.Blank.dot
Text to Self-3rd-6th KEY-/files/documents/Text to Self.KEY.dot
Activator Activity-Pioneer Notes